One of the best gift ideas for women is definitely the earrings. But how to choose earrings for a gift?
It’s true that every woman loves having a new pair of dazzling earrings. The perfect earrings can add a finishing touch to any outfit. But they can also ruin the overall outlook of the woman if not chosen correctly. What do I mean by this?
** This following post contains some affiliate links. Despite that, the written in here is honest and based on my own opinion or/and experience, research and wish to share my findings with you!
When looking for earrings for someone, we usually choose among tons of different size, design, colors and types of earrings and pick those which we think may suit the lady’s preferences of color, style, and material. But we usually neglect some important factors in our buying decisions - such as the face shape, skin color, hair length, age, and personality.
This article will teach you how to select the best earrings for a woman that will flatter and fit her best.
How To Choose Earrings for a Gift According To the Shape of the Face
SQUARE Face Shape
- The length and width of the face are roughly equal in size.
- Straight sides of the face
- Noticeably square shaped jawline
- Forehead and jawline are almost of the same width.
- The chin is usually flat rather than pointed.
- The cheeks are the widest point.
For a square face, choose earrings that appear to stretch the face at some point and soften the square features. Thin long earrings make this perfect. Drop earrings and multi-tiered dangles will look quite good as they might help the face look less angular. Round, oval or teardrop shape are good options as well. Hoops are actually the evergreen option – from the middle sized to under jaws for much of a dramatic look.
My suggestions for square-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake - square earrings. Do you want to emphasize on the square jawline? No, no, no!
2. ROUND Face Shape
- Round chin
- Full cheeks
- A face that is widest at the cheekbones, and almost as wide as it is long.
- The general shape of the face has continuing lines rather than any hard angles.
- Full and round jawline.
- Round forehead and hairline.
The key on how to choose the correct earrings for a woman who has round face is to pick up earrings that help to “lengthen” the face and add a little angle and sharpness to it. Women with round face look catching with stylish square or elongated earrings. Narrow drops and dangles or ear threads will make her look stunning. Choosing the shape is the thing here – square, pyramid, oval, triangle, diamond or teardrop are welcome.
My suggestions for round-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake – wide round middle-length hoops, massive earrings or miniature studs and buttons, wide chandeliers – anything that will make the face look even wider.
3. OVAL Face Shape
- The face is slightly longer than it is wide (meaning the length is approximately 1.5 times the width)
- The width of the face is broader than the forehead and jawline. At the same time, the forehead is slightly broader than the jawline.
- Rounded jawline, with no harsh lines.
- The widest point of the face is at the cheekbones.
- The face may resemble an inverted egg shape.
The oval face shape is actually the most balanced and proportionate. Which makes the choice quite easy – pretty much everything suits it. Earrings of almost any shape and length are welcomed. There’s only one rule – don’t choose long, thin earrings, especially if the woman loves wearing pulled back hair. You see, they might look dazzling, but will make the face look much too long. Oval and teardrop shape is the best as it will do miracles to glam up the face even more. Experiment with funky shapes, too.
My suggestions for oval-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake: long, thin earrings that go below the jawline.
4. HEART Face Shape
- The face is longer than it is wider.
- The width of the hairline and forehead are wider than the lower part of the face.
- The jawline is angular/narrow/
- Wide full cheeks.
- The chin is small and pointy, obviously the narrowest part of the face.
- May also have a dip in the hairline (widow's peak).
Any long earrings that help to attract attention to the lower part of the face are the best choice for the heart-shaped. For instance – earrings that are wider at the bottom, but narrow at the top will fit perfectly the face shape. Dangle earrings, teardrop or triangular shapes or chandelier earrings will complement the face. Ovals are also a good option.
My suggestions for heart-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake: short, wide earrings which draw attention to the full cheekbones and actually mirror the face shape.
5. DIAMOND Face Shape
- The face is a little longer than it is wide.
- The forehead and the jawline are similar in width.
- The forehead is narrower than cheekbones.
- High-set cheekbones being the widest parts of your face
- The jawline is long, angular and tapers into a pointed chin.
For the diamond shaped face, the wide middle-sized earrings will not look so good. These will make the face look wider where it is wide enough (at the height of the ears ). Also, very long thin earrings will look awkward on the diamond-shaped face (make the chin looks as if never ending). So go for earrings with long lines and gentle curves to smooth the sharp lines of the cheekbones, chin, and jawline. As you can notice from my recommendations, you should be looking for a balance - all the time! For example, the diamond sized earrings will accentuate the size and angles of the face so you must avoid them. Studs and close to the ear small hoops or dangles will look good on such a face, just mind the shape as I told you above.
My suggestions for diamond-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake: middle-sized rhombus or diamond shaped earrings, as well as other shapes with strong angles.
6. OBLONG Face Shape
- The shape of the face looks like an oval, but it is longer (at least 60%) than it is wide.
- The face looks narrow.
- Forehead, cheeks, and jawline are almost of the same width.
- Softly rounded jawline.
- The forehead and hairline may be long but rounded.
- The jawline may come to a point.
- The sides of your face are straight.
The hoops are the perfect option for the oblong-shaped as they provide some width to the face. Chandeliers shaped earrings will flatter the personality. Studs with stones look amazing as they attract attention at the right point of the face. Pearl earrings are also a good choice: they not only soften the lines of the face but also shorten its length. As a whole, anything that adds a supple roundness to the face is the correct answer for the long-shaped.
My suggestions for oblong-faced ladies:
Biggest mistake: long, slender earrings.
The face shapes mentioned above are the most common face shapes. Of course, a combination of these face shapes is possible. Just keep in mind which part of woman's face is the widest and the narrowest so that you will have an idea of the general shape of her face, therefore, which types of earrings are best appropriate as a gift.
You get the point, right? Identify the shape and then go for the opposite, always looking for the balance. In other words: if the face is long – choose wide earrings; if the face is round – pick up some long dangles; if the lady has strong cheekbones and angled jawline – then choose oval shapes to smooth the harsh lines; if the woman’s face is round and looks full, then go for angled-shaped earrings. It is actually so easy choosing the right earrings according to the face shape. No misunderstandings, no gift changing, no beauty disasters. Just a pair of perfect earrings as a gorgeous gift for the special lady.
The question how to choose the perfect earrings for a gift has some answers. Today you've learned the basic. Next time I'll take you deeper into the topic revealing the other important factors when buying earrings for someone else (and for you, too!)